Festive Beetroot & Lentil Crostini
· 1 multi-grain baguette (long enough to slice 30 pieces)
· 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil (2 Tbsp/30 mL for baguette, 1 Tbsp/15 mL for beets)
· 800g peeled and finely diced cooked beets
· 100g finely diced shallots
· 2 tsp maple syrup/honey
· salt and ground black pepper
· 1 x 400g tin green lentils
· 3 Tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
· 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
· 200g goat cheese
· 2 Tbsp (30 mL) thinly sliced chives (reserve some for garnish)
Preheat oven to 180˚C.
For the crostini pieces: Slice baguette into thin slices and lay onto a large tray. Brush a small amount of oil onto each slice and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove from oven and transfer to a cool tray. Turn oven up to 190˚C.
In a medium bowl, toss beets with shallots, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil, honey, and season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
In a medium bowl, toss roasted beets with cooked lentils, vinegar, dill, and season with salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, stir chives with goat cheese. Reserve.
Assembly: Spread goat cheese evenly on top of the crostini. Place a spoonful of cooled roasted beet mixture on top and continue until all are complete. Garnish with chopped fresh chives and serve immediately.